- 6 pieces salmon (4- to 5-ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon and 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 3 large sweet onions, diced
- 3 shallots, diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup asparagus, chopped
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup cooking white wine
- 1/2 cups pumpkin purée
- 5 cups vegetable stock, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- In a large pan, add diced onions, shallots, and 1 teaspoon oil. Bring to medium heat. Stir often and cook for 15-18 minutes until soft and brown.
- Add garlic, asparagus, and rice. Season with salt and pepper and add cinnamon. Mix and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Then, reduce heat to low.
- Deglaze the pan by adding the cooking wine. Stir again and gently scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen any bits. Cook for another minute or so or until the alcohol begins to evaporate.
- Return heat to medium and add one cup of vegetable stock. Stir and cook for 5-6 minutes, then add an additional cup of vegetable stock. Continue and repeat this process until all five cups of vegetable stock have been added and the rice is tender. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Stir in pumpkin purée and fresh lemon juice. Stir until well combined. Then, cover with a lid while preparing the salmon.
- Pat salmon portions dry and season with salt, pepper, and cajun seasonings. Bring a large skillet to medium heat and add remaining 1 tablespoon cooking oil. When the pan is hot, add salmon pieces, skin side down, and cook for 3-5 minutes or until salmon is browned and seared on the bottom. Refrain from moving during this time.
- When ready, flip and turn off heat. Leave the salmon in the hot pan—as it cools, the fish will continue to cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, uncover risotto, and give another stir. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Then, portion on serving plates or in bowls.
- When the salmon is ready, layer over risotto and garnish with pumpkin seeds. Serve immediately and enjoy!