Light and lovely, these bites will be your new go-to for hosting friends or when you want a quick, crunchy snack.
- 1 small cucumber
- 1 package of cream cheese
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped, with a few sprigs left over for garnishing (optional)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 5 teaspoons whole grain Dijon mustard
- Five slices of honey wheat bread or any firm sandwich bread
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place package of cream cheese in a medium-sized mixing bowl and add the freshly chopped herbs, garlic powder, and mayonnaise. Mix well using a fork to press the herbs into the cream cheese to release the flavors until ingredients are evenly combined. This may take a few minutes.
- Set bowl aside in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to chill and allow the flavors to meld.
- Slice the cucumbers very thinly, or thicker depending on how much you like cucumbers and their texture. Set aside.
- Trim the crust from the bread slices. Stack the slices on top of one another, then cut in half across the length lengthwise to create 10 rectangular pieces.
- When cream cheese mixture is chilled, spread about 1 tablespoon on each slice. Place three cucumber slices on top of the spread for each piece, then top each bite with 1/2 teaspoon dollop of mustard. You can also garnish the mustard with small sprigs of dill.
- Finish with freshly cracked salt, and black pepper. Serve immediately.