- 12 ounces (approximately 2 cups) any fruit like berries, stone fruit, or citrus
- 1⅓ cups sugar
- 1 cup vinegar like apple cider, white wine, red wine, or unseasoned rice vinegar
- Optional flavorings: ginger, rosemary, thyme, lavender
- Place fruit in a medium bowl and muddle or smash with a fork to bring out the juices. Transfer the fruit to a large jar with a fitted lid (like a Mason jar) and add sugar and additional flavorings if using. Stir everything together, and then seal the jar. Let the mixture sit out at room temperature for 24 hours, shaking the jar occasionally until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture looks very juicy.
- Place a medium fine-meshed strainer over a medium bowl, then strain the mixture, discarding any solids.
- Pour vinegar into the bowl and mix to combine. Transfer the shrub into a clean jar and seal. Place in the fridge for at least 5 days before drinking to allow flavors to come together and vinegar to mellow out.
- To serve: Top iced bubbly water with 2 tablespoons of shrub and mix, or add to your favorite cocktails.