- 1 cup dried fava beans (we used Bob’s Red Mill Fava Beans), soaked for 6 hours and then drained
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 small white or yellow onions, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- Parsley or dill (optional)
- Bring a large pot or Dutch oven to medium heat. Add the cooking oil and onions.
- Sauté onions for about 15 minutes or just beginning to brown. Add the celery and carrots and stir to combine.
- Season with salt, pepper, smoked paprika, and chipotle powder, then cook for another 3-5 minutes. Add garlic, stir again, and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes or until garlic becomes tender and fragrant.
- Pour in the fava beans, crushed tomatoes, barbecue sauce, apple cider vinegar, and vegetable stock. Stir to combine.
- Increase heat to a boil then reduce back down to low. Simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with optional garnish of parsley, dill, or even use fresh carrot tops. Serve warm and enjoy!