For the fried mushrooms:
- 1 clamshell (8 ounces) Smallhold blue oyster mushrooms
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅔ cup water
- Neutral oil (like canola or vegetable) to fill 2 inches up the sides of a large pot, for frying
- Garnish: flaky salt, cilantro, and lime wedges
For the dip:
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Remove the woody stems from the mushrooms, if any, and then use your hands to separate larger mushrooms into equal-sized pieces.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and all the spices. Transfer ½ cup of the spiced flour mixture into another medium bowl and whisk in water until smooth to form a batter.
- Coat each mushroom piece in the batter, then dredge with the dry mixture. Repeat this process to double coat the mushroom in the batter and dry mixture. Repeat with the remaining mushrooms and set aside.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat. Once the oil is glistening, carefully drop ⅓ of the mushrooms into the pot. Fry for 3-4 minutes, flipping halfway through, until mushrooms are golden brown and crispy. Transfer cooked mushrooms onto a paper towel-lined plate and immediately season with flaky salt. Continue with the remaining two batches of mushrooms.
- For the dipping sauce, combine yogurt and lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer fried mushrooms onto a serving dish and garnish with cilantro. Serve alongside dipping sauce and lime wedges and enjoy!