- 2 cups cold mashed potatoes
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups fine breadcrumbs
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- 2 tablespoons chives, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon zest
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Flaky salt
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, egg yolks, cheese, and flour. Roll potato mixture into 12-14 balls just slightly smaller than golf balls. Place croquettes on a baking sheet and chill in the freezer for 15 minutes or in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Meanwhile, combine crème fraîche, chives, and lemon zest in a small bowl. Season with salt and a generous amount of black pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Arrange beaten eggs and bread crumbs in two separate bowls next to each other. Dredge croquettes in the eggs and then in the bread crumbs. Repeat by dredging in the eggs and bread crumbs again for two coats.
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. If the oil bubbles when placing a few bread crumbs in the pot, it’s ready to fry. Working in batches, gently place croquettes in the oil. Fry the croquettes until deeply browned and crispy, 1-2 minutes on each side. Use a spider to transfer croquettes to a paper towel-lined plate and immediately season with flaky salt. Repeat frying with remaining croquettes.
- Transfer croquettes to a dish and serve with the chive crème fraîche on the side.