Onion dip might get all the glory, but this yogurt-based version manages to pack in even more flavor thanks to deeply caramelized shallots, citrusy thyme, and an extra allium hit of chives. Swap sour cream in for the yogurt if you’re not a huge fan of tart flavor (we won’t judge!).Print
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large shallots, finely diced (about 2½ cups)
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- ⅓ cup chives, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add shallots and thyme, season with ½ teaspoon of salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until shallots become deeply golden and caramelized, about 15-20 minutes. Remove thyme sprigs and discard. Transfer shallots to a small bowl and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, add yogurt, shallots (set aside 1 tablespoon for serving), chives (set aside 1 tablespoon remaining for serving), lemon juice, ½ teaspoon salt, and 10 cracks of pepper. Mix to combine, then season to taste.
- Transfer dip to a serving bowl and top with remaining shallots and chives. Serve with chips, bread, and crudités.
Looking to add even more dip recipes to your repertoire? Check out our handy guide to find new favorites!