This summer, we’re not just planning the usual grilling suspects like hamburgers and steaks. Instead, we’re getting a bit more inspired and making use of a hefty serving of produce with juicy, charred kebabs. For our recipe, we went with onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, and lean chicken. But the beauty about kebabs is they are totally customizable and sure to be a crowd pleaser. You can really toss anything onto your skewers—let’s say, a sweet and savory version with pineapple and pork? Sounds delicious.Print
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 mixed color bell peppers, seeds removed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 8 skewers, soaked in water
- 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- In a small bowl, whisk soy sauce, olive oil, honey, and red pepper flakes until combined.
- Add chicken, bell peppers, red onion, and mushrooms to a large bowl or baking dish. Pour soy sauce mixture over chicken and vegetables and toss to fully coat. Cover and let marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Alternate threading chicken and vegetables onto skewers. Grill kebabs over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side, until chicken and vegetables are fully cooked and become slightly charred.
- Sprinkle cilantro over top and serve immediately.