The next time you fire up the grill, reach into your crisper draw for a little inspiration. Hardy lettuces like romaine, escarole, endive, radicchio, and even kale can take the heat. The charred leaves add a surprising level of smokiness to side dishes and summer salads alike.
Here, we seared thick romaine hearts and topped it all off with a drizzling of homemade lemon tahini dressing. Get the recipe:Print
- 7 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon capers, finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons water
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided, plus more for serving
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 heads of romaine, outer leaves removed, halved lengthwise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- In a small bowl, whisk tahini, lemon zest, lemon juice, capers, water, and 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Season generously with salt and pepper to taste, then set aside.
- Prepare grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Drizzle remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over cut side of romaine halves, then season with salt. Grill, cut side down until just charred, about 2-3 minutes. Flip to other side and grill for another 30 seconds to warm through.
- Use a large spoon to smear tahini dressing across a serving platter. Arrange charred romaine cut side up over dressing, drizzle a little olive oil over romaine, and then sprinkle toasted sesame seeds on top. Serve immediately.