Charring pineapple gives this herbaceous cocktail a smoky aroma and makes the fruit even sweeter, while “clapping” basil together in your hands first releases even more of its fragrant flavor. Bourbon is optional if you’re more into mocktails these days, though gin or vodka would be lovely here, too. Either way, give the mixer a good shake with plenty of ice to make it extra refreshing.Print
- 1 cup ice
- Juice from 2 lemons
- 2 ounces bourbon
- 1 pineapple, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch strips
- 3 large basil leaves
- Ginger beer
- Bring a grill pan to medium heat. Add pineapple slices and allow to cook for 6-9 minutes or until charred. Flip and repeat with all pieces.
- Transfer pineapple to a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a jar until ready to use.
- For the cocktail, add a few handfuls of ice to a cocktail shaker. Top with lemon juice, bourbon, 4 ounces of pineapple purée, and basil leaves. (For even more flavor, “clap” the leaves between your hands before adding to the cocktail shaker.) Shake for about 1 minute.
- Strain and distribute into 3 ice-filled cups. Top with ginger beer and enjoy!