Savor the last bits of summer with this ratatouille-ish dish. (There’s tender summer squash and creamy eggplant but no tomato.) What’s special about this Mediterranean-inspired recipe is the spice blend: smoked paprika, allspice, cumin, and even a pinch of cinnamon. A stunning summer bake that’s perfect on its own, but will complement hearty mains like steak or roast chicken, too. Finish with salty feta and enjoy outdoors, preferably. That’s what we’ll be doing.Print
- 1 large zucchini, thinly sliced and cut into half moons
- 1 large yellow squash, thinly sliced and cut into half moons
- 1 large eggplant, thinly sliced and cut into half moons
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or cooking oil of preference)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup feta
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven or grill to 400 degrees.
- Bring an oven safe skillet or cast iron pan to medium heat. Add oil and onions and cook for about 10-12 minutes, or until the onions begin to sweat.
- Add minced garlic, harissa, smoked paprika, allspice, cumin, cinnamon, and ginger. Stir until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to preference.
- Remove from heat, then layer the slices of zucchini, squash and eggplant into the pan.
- Transfer to the oven or grill and cook for 50-60 minutes or until thoroughly cooked.
- Garnish with crumbled feta and chopped parsley. Serve and enjoy!