We couldn’t think of a better farewell to summer than this salad, which makes good use of summer squash and stone fruit by combining the two on the grill. (Cook them in batches to get a nice sear while being careful to not overcook.) Top with a drizzle of the lemony yogurt dressing. It’s a good opportunity to use up what you have in the fridge. It keeps for up to a week and goes well with everything: eggs, grilled meat, leafy greens, and tossed in chicken salad.Print
- 1 large zucchini or yellow summer squash, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 2 ripe white peaches, pitted and halved
- 2 ripe nectarines, pitted and quartered
- 1 cup plain full-fat yogurt
- 1 large garlic clove, grated
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Basil or mint leaves (optional)
- Add oil to a griddle pan, cast iron skillet, or heavy-bottomed pan and bring to high heat.
- Add zucchini and stone fruit to a large bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill the zucchini and stone fruit in batches, about 4-5 minutes each batch, until charred, softened, and cooked through. Set aside to cool.
- Make the dressing by whisking to combine yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, and salt and pepper.
- Arrange the zucchini and stone fruit on a platter and drizzle over lemon-yogurt dressing. Garnish with optional basil or mint leaves and enjoy right away.