The ultimate plant-based BBQ sliders to win over any meat lover.
1 spaghetti squash
4 teaspoons applewood smoked seasoning
1 cup BBQ sauce of choice (preferably smoked)
1/2 cup mayo (can use vegan mayo)
1 tablespoon Sriracha hot sauce (more or less depending on heat preferences)
1 red onion (sliced thin)
1 cup rice vinegar
1 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of water
1. Slice onions, and place inside an airtight jar.
2. In a bowl, stir together remaining ingredients until sugar dissolves.
3. Pour the mixture into the jar, making sure it covers all of the onions and set in the fridge overnight, or up to 1 week.
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Slice squash lengthwise and remove seeds with a fork.
3. Coat the inside of the squash halves with the dry seasoning. Place halves skin side up on a baking sheet filled with 1/4 inch of water and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until tender.
4. Leave oven on. Allow squash to cool enough to comfortably “pull apart” the strands using a fork to create stringy pieces, then use a spoon to scoop and remove all the flesh from the skin
5. In a bowl, mix together the BBQ sauce and squash until squash is evenly coated with sauce.
6. Return the squash to the baking sheet (pour out any excess water) and spread in an even thin layer. Bake for 18-21 minutes to dry it out a bit and add more texture.
7. In the meantime, stir together Sriracha and mayo.
8. Toast buns by buttering and setting on a pan preheated to medium high. Toast until golden (about 3 minutes or so)
9. Assemble away, spreading the Sriracha mayo on the buns, layering the squash, then pickled onions.