- 1 1/4 cup dried cannellini beans, soaked overnight, or two 15-ounce canned beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 leeks whites and light green part only, thinly sliced
- 1 cup carrots (about 3–4 medium carrots), cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup turnips (about 1 large turnip), cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 5 cups water
- Toppings: cheddar cheese, sour cream, avocado, cilantro, lime wedges
- Heat oil over medium in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add onions, garlic, and leeks and cook until softened, 5-7 minutes.
- Add carrots and turnips, stir to combine, and cook for another 2-3 minutes until they begin to soften. Add chili powder, cumin, dried oregano, and salt and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Mix in beans and diced tomatoes. Add water (or broth of choice) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover.
- Cook until beans become tender, 35-45 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
- Serve in bowls and top with cheddar cheese, sour cream, avocado, cilantro, and a lime wedge if desired. Enjoy!