- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups wheat berries or farro
- 1 baby watermelon, cut into wedges or cubes
- 5 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 Persian cucumbers, cut into spears
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- To make the pickled onions, whisk vinegar, sugar, and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat until sugar and salt dissolves. Add ice cubes and stir until melted. Place onions in a jar with a lid and pour in vinegar mixture. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour. Cover, then chill for at least 1 hour.
- Prepare wheat berries according to package directions. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again.
- Whisk together oil, vinegar, lime juice, and honey in a large bowl until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add cooked wheat berries, watermelon, radish, and cucumber and toss to coat. Plate salad and top with pickled onions and cilantro.