- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight or in boiling water for at least 1 hour
- 1–2 cups oat milk or milk alternative
- 3 tablespoons mild white miso
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed into ¼-inch chunks
- 1 small onion, peeled and quartered
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound pasta shells like macaroni or other small shape
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon melted vegan butter or cooking oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- On a sheet pan, place butternut squash cubes, onions, and broccoli. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Gently stir to coat.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, flipping half way through, until veggies are tender.
- Remove veggies and reduce oven heat to 375 degrees.
- Drain soaked cashews and place nuts in a food processor. Add cooked butternut squash and onions. Add miso and 1 cup of oat milk.
- Blend until smooth. If needed, add more oat milk. (Depending on the size of the butternut squash, it may take more to smooth out the sauce).
- Once sauce is ready, cook pasta according to instructions. When cooked, transfer to a large mixing bowl and add “cheese” sauce, along with cooked broccoli. Gently stir.
- Transfer the mixture into an oven safe casserole pan and top with crumbs that have been mixed with melted vegan butter or oil.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until browned. When ready, share, serve, and enjoy!