For the cake:
- 3 cups cake flour (can use all-purpose flour)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- Zest from 4 mandarins (about 2 teaspoons)
- Juice from 4 mandarines (about 1/2 cup)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, room temperature
For the glaze:
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2–3 tablespoons mandarin juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease the inside of a 10-inch Bundt cake pan with butter or nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, ground ginger, ground nutmeg, and ground cardamom together. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or a hand mixer, beat butter on medium-high until smooth and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add sugar and continue to beat until creamed together, about 2 more minutes. Scrape bowl down with rubber spatula as needed.
- Add in vanilla extract and eggs and continue to beat until incorporated. Then, beat in fresh ginger, mandarin zest, and juice until combined. Turn mixer to low and slowly stream in buttermilk. Using a rubber spatula, fold in dry ingredients in three batches, scraping down the bottom of bowl between batches, and not to over-mix. (Batter should be slightly thick.)
- Transfer batter to greased Bundt pan. Bake until top becomes golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean, about 45-55 minutes. Note: If cake begins to brown too quickly, cover top loosely with foil.
- Allow cake to cool for 15 minutes inside the pan then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, whisk powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons mandarin orange juice, and vanilla extract together to form glaze. Add more mandarin juice for a thinner glaze if needed.
- Drizzle glaze over cooled cake. Slice and serve.