- 1 1/2 pounds eggplant (about 2 medium eggplants), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- Olive oil
- 1/3 cup unsalted almond butter
- 1 tablespoon hummus
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha, chili oil, chili sauce, or pinch of dried chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- Handful cilantro leaves (optional garnish)
- Cover both sides of eggplant slices with a sprinkling of salt. Let sit in a colander over a bowl for about an hour to drain the excess liquid. Rinse off salt and pat eggplant dry.
- Put eggplant slices on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper or foil. Brush each side lightly with olive oil and roast in a 400-degree oven to 40-50 minutes, flipping halfway, until fork-tender. Set aside to cool.
- While eggplant is roasting, make the almond butter sauce: Put almond butter, hummus, sugar, fish sauce, garlic, ginger, chili oil/flakes, lime juice, and salt in a food processor or blender. Blend. Then, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until you get a thick yet slightly runny sauce. (You may not need the entire 1/4 cup of water.)
- Plate eggplant slices and spoon sauce over top. Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve immediately.