- ¾ cup whole-milk yogurt
- 6½ tablespoons vegetable or canola oil, divided
- 2 medium eggs
- ¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1¼ ounces (2¼ teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2–3 teaspoons milk
- In a bowl, combine yogurt and 6 tablespoons of oil. Microwave in 10 second intervals until the mixture is warm but not hot, about 30-40 seconds total. In another medium bowl, whisk together eggs, brown sugar, and yeast. Then, slowly add in the yogurt mixture.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the hook attachment, mix together flour, baking soda, and salt. Turn the stand mixer on low and stream in the yogurt mixture until the dough comes together. Increase speed to medium and continue to mix the dough until it begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl, about 2 minutes.
- Use a dough scraper to turn dough out onto a clean surface. Knead dough until it forms a smooth tight ball, about 3-4 minutes.
- Roll dough into a 10”x10” square, then fold in half to form a 5”x10” rectangle. Fold the rectangle in half again to create a 5”x5” square. Roll dough back into a 10”x10” square again and repeat the folding process one more time.
- Coat a large bowl with the remaining ½ tablespoon of oil. Add dough to the bowl and cover with the oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill for at least 8 hours or overnight, until dough has roughly doubled in size.
- In a small bowl, mix together sugar, cinnamon, and salt for the filling. Roll the dough out into a 12”x12” square. Spread the butter over the entire surface and sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture over top. Use your fingers or spatula to gently pack the cinnamon-sugar mixture into the dough.
- With a sharp knife, cut 12 even strips of dough, rolling each one into cinnamon rolls. Place rolls into an 8”x8” baking pan. Cover the baking pan of rolls with foil and let proof for 1-1½ hours until rolls have doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. With the pan still covered in foil, bake rolls for 25 minutes until they puff up and look mostly set. Remove foil and bake for another 15-20 minutes until golden on top.
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and milk to make glaze. Pour glaze over cinnamon rolls and serve warm.