For the honey almonds:
- 1/2 cup almonds, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
For the cookies:
- 1 cup fine almond flour
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Jam of choice like strawberry, apricot, or grape
- 1 egg white
- For the honey almonds: Place all ingredients in a small pot and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves and becomes golden, 3-5 minutes. Spread almonds into a thin layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet and chill until completely hardened, 10-15 minutes. Break apart with your hands or a knife, transfer to a bowl, and set aside.
- For the cookies: In a large bowl, whisk flours and salt to combine, then set aside. Cream butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, 2-3 minutes. Add almond extract and beat until combined. Add flour in two additions, pulsing mixer until dough is fully combined, using a silicone spatula to make sure everything is incorporated.
- Assembly: Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment.
- Roll dough into tablespoon-sized balls and place 2 inches apart on the baking sheets. With the back of a teaspoon, make an indentation on the top of each cookie. Brush a thin layer of egg white on top of each cookie and then press each cookie, face down, into the honey almonds. Fill each cookie with 1 teaspoon of jam.
- Bake, rotating halfway through until cookies are golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Makes 30 cookies