- 8 eggs
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, plus more for spreading on bread
- 1½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1½ teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- Kosher salt
- Flaky sea salt
- 8 slices brioche or white bread
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Prepare ice baths in two separate medium bowls.
- Gently place your eggs into the pot and cook for 8 minutes. Transfer 2 of the soft-boiled eggs into one of the ice baths and continue to cook the remaining eggs for another 6 minutes. Then, transfer the hard-boiled eggs to the other ice bath. Let the eggs sit for 3 minutes before peeling.
- Cut the hard-boiled eggs into ¼-inch pieces and transfer them to a medium bowl. Add scallions, mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, sesame oil, and ½ teaspoon kosher salt to the bowl and fold into the eggs with a rubber spatula.
- Slice the soft-boiled eggs in half lengthwise season the cut side of each one with a little bit of flaky salt and set aside.
- To assemble the sandwich, spread a layer of mayonnaise onto each slice of bread. Place 1 soft-boiled egg half cut side down on 4 of the slices of bread.
- Divide the egg salad over the soft-boiled eggs and with a spoon or offset spatula smooth it out to cover the whole piece of bread. Top each sandwich with another slice of bread, mayonnaise side down.
- With a sharp serrated knife remove the crust (makes for the best chef’s snack!) and then slice the sandwich in half—cutting through the soft-boiled egg widthwise (along the fatter part of the egg). Serve immediately.