- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 4–5 blood oranges, thinly sliced
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 blood orange, zested
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 eggs
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- For the topping: Melt butter and sugar in a small saucepan, whisking frequently until brown sugar dissolves and looks syrupy. Pour the mixture into a greased round 9-inch cake pan. Arrange the orange slices slightly overlapping in a spiral pattern over the caramel. Set aside.
- For the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate large bowl, combine sugar, zest, yogurt, eggs, almond extract, and olive oil and whisk until very well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and combine with a spatula or wooden spoon. Scrap the batter into the pan over the orange slices and smooth the top if needed.
- Bake until the cake is golden and fully set (a toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean), 35 to 40 minutes. Let the cake cool for 10 minutes, then place a large plate over the cake and invert the pan so the cake flips upside-down onto the plate.
- Let the cake come to room temperature before serving. Serve as is or with some whipped cream on top.