- 4 slices sourdough or country style bread
- Onion jam
- 4 slices prosciutto
- ½ apple (or pear), thinly sliced
- ¾ cup white cheddar, coarsely grated
- ½ cup gouda, coarsely grated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ tablespoons fresh sage, roughly chopped
- Start with a slice of bread and top with a generous smear of onion jam, 2 slices of prosciutto, a few slices of apple (or pear), and half of the cheddar and gouda cheeses. Place another slice of bread on top and press down firmly.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Carefully transfer assembled grilled cheese onto the pan and cook until golden and cheese has melted, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add ½ tablespoon of butter to the pan with a pinch of sage leaves. Let butter melt and swirl the pan so the grilled cheese can absorb the sage butter. Flip the sandwich over, cook until bread is golden, another 4-5 minutes, and repeat melting ½ tablespoon of butter in the pan with a pinch of sage leaves. Swirl the second side to absorb sage butter and remove grilled cheese from the pan.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients for a second grilled cheese, then serve immediately.