As zucchini hits its peak in summer, it easily grows oversized. When our farmers send us the big boys, we like to save those to make stuffed zucchini boats. They’re the perfect vessel. Here, we go Italian inspired with mushrooms, two types of cheese, and tomatoes for a hearty, vegetarian supper. You can absolutely freestyle the filling with what you get in your weekly box, but remember to think about texture and contrasting flavors. Oh, and don’t skimp on the cheese.Print
- 3 large zucchinis, sliced lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or cooking oil of preference)
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/3 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup Parmesan, grated
- 1/2 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven or grill to 400 degrees.
- Using a spoon or melon baller, scoop to remove the insides of the zucchini to create a well. Repeat with all halves, then lay zucchini halves on a prepared baking sheet, open side up. (Save leftover zucchini to make zucchini bread!)
- In a large pan, add oil and bring to medium heat. Cook mushrooms until golden brown, about 5-6 minutes. Then, add the onions and garlic. Sauté for an additional 3-5 minutes, until the garlic and onions become soft and fragrant.
- Add in the diced tomatoes and Parmesan and stir until combined. Adjust salt if needed.
- Remove from heat and evenly divide the mushroom mixture into the zucchini boats. Top with shredded mozzarella. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden but not burned.
- Remove from oven and garnish parsley and freshly cracked black pepper. Serve while warm and enjoy!