- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large shallots, finely diced (about 2½ cups)
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- ⅓ cup chives, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add shallots and thyme, season with ½ teaspoon of salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until shallots become deeply golden and caramelized, about 15-20 minutes. Remove thyme sprigs and discard. Transfer shallots to a small bowl and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, add yogurt, shallots (set aside 1 tablespoon for serving), chives (set aside 1 tablespoon remaining for serving), lemon juice, ½ teaspoon salt, and 10 cracks of pepper. Mix to combine, then season to taste.
- Transfer dip to a serving bowl and top with remaining shallots and chives. Serve with chips, bread, and crudités.