It’s not a Bobby Flay brunch unless there’s something hearty on the menu. In his recipe for savory sausage patties, Bobby incorporates a fragrant blend of herbs and spices like sage, thyme, and a few bay leaves—but not in the way you might think.
You’ll have to watch how Bobby is able to incorporate the tough leaf into these juicy patties:
Fry them up along with a few eggs, then pair with toast and maybe even a smear of smashed avocado for an easy breakfast.Print
- 1 large or 2 small bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons fresh sage, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 pound ground pork or ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Using a spice grinder, grind the bay leaf and the red pepper flakes into a fine powder. Add the sage, thyme, and dry mustard and pulse twice to combine.
- Combine the spice mixture with the ground pork in a large bowl along with the salt and pepper. Mix with your hands until the spices are evenly dispersed throughout the meat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 12 hours to allow the flavors to meld.
- To cook the sausage, form the mixture into thin patties.
- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat until the oil begins to shimmer. Cook the patties until golden brown on each side and completely cooked through, about 4-5 minutes per side, depending upon the thickness.
- Remove to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Serve with your favorite breakfast foods—scrambled eggs, toast—or add to a buttermilk biscuit to make a delicious breakfast sandwich. Enjoy!