Though we use cilantro in this recipe, we think these oats could be just as tasty with another herb like dill, thyme, rosemary, or even marjoram.
- 1 cup oatmeal or steel cut oats (we used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 2 cups water
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 loose cup of cilantro, de-stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Juice from 1 lime
- Optional toppings: fried egg, sliced avocado, diced tomatoes
- Cook the oats with the water according to instructions.
- While the oats are cooking, dice the onion and chop the cilantro, as well as mince the garlic.
- Bring a medium-sized pan to medium heat then add the cooking oil and onions. Sauté while occasionally stirring, about 5-6 minutes or until just beginning to soften. Season with salt, pepper, and cumin and stir again.
- Add the chopped cilantro and minced garlic. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until cilantro becomes soft and garlic is fragrant and tender.
- Once the oatmeal is done cooking as per package instructions, combine it with the onion mixture. Add lime juice, stir to combine, and serve immediately.
- Optional: Top with a fried egg, sliced avocado, and diced tomatoes. Enjoy!