A go-to holiday side dish or healthy breakfast option whenever you’re craving a hint of comforting sweetness.
For the potatoes:
2 cups of mashed sweet potatoes (3-5 small, or 3 large potatoes)
3 tbsp. of maple syrup
1/2 cup of milk (can use non-dairy)
1 tsp. of vanilla
1 tsp. of cinnamon
1/4 tsp. of nutmeg
For the crumble:
1 cup of rolled oats (can use gluten-free)
1/8 cup of nut butter (I used peanut butter, although almond would be great too)
1/8 cup of honey (or maple syrup)
1/2 tbsp. of coconut oil
1 tsp. of vanilla extract
sprinkle of coconut sugar (optional)
1. Lightly grease an 8×8″ baking dish.
2. Bake sweet potatoes at 400° F for 40-50 minutes, or until soft. Let cool until you can safely remove the skins.
3. Place the cooled sweet potatoes in a medium-sized bowl. Add in the rest of the ingredients for the potatoes to the baking dish and mix or blend with a stick blender until soft.
3. Scoop the mashed sweet potato mixture into the baking dish.
4. In a small microwave-safe bowl, microwave the nut butter, honey, and coconut oil until everything becomes a soft liquid about 60 seconds. (Make sure to microwave at 15 second intervals, so you can stir in-between to ensure it melts evenly.)
5. Add in the oats, cinnamon, and vanilla to the liquid, mixing well.
6. Evenly distribute the crumble over the potatoes. Sprinkle with coconut sugar for added sweetness.
7. Bake at 325°F for about 20-25 minutes until the top is slightly browned.
8. Enjoy warm or cold!